Culloden Cove is a beautiful villa with a private beach and swimming pool on the unspoiled south coast of Jamaica. The newly-refurbished property can sleep up to 10 people and is set in an acre of tranquil, tropical gardens with abundant bird and plant life. This is the perfect place to relax and unwind, away from the stresses of life. Let our welcoming staff take care of you while you stretch out in a hammock, swim in the crystal clear water and enjoy the gorgeous sunsets.
The main house was formerly one of Jamaica’s best restaurants – Culloden Cafe. It has been fully refurbished in 2008 and 2009 to transform it into a beautiful holiday villa. The lounge, bedrooms and terrace have stunning views over the Caribbean sea. The house has been designed to maximize the benefits of its beautiful location with balconies front and back, and a tiered terrace for dining and unwinding. All of the furniture is locally-made by craftsmen in the village and the house is decorated with old Jamaican photos and reggae album cover art.
The new kitchen has black granite work-tops and cedar units. It is fully equipped with large electric stove, refrigerator, microwave, kettle and coffee maker. If you want to cook it has everything you need. If you don’t want to cook, it has everything our staff need to do it for you! A barbecue is available for outdoor grilling.
The large, open-plan lounge has double doors that open out onto the two tier terrace, which in turn drops down to a lawn that rolls down to the infinity pool and the sea. Large windows provide wonderful sea views. Two large sofas offer comfortable lounging and there is a dining area with a large table. A TV, DVD player and stereo are provided and the adjoining library has a large selection of music, films, books and board games. The large tiered terrace is most people’s favorite feature of the villa. The upper terrace is covered and has a large dining area for up to 10 people. It also has a lounging area with two hanging seats and a huge sofa.
The lower terrace is covered with two vines, passion fruit and bromeliads, with the former providing a canopy of beautiful hanging purple flowers all year long. This provides excellent shade as well as attracting a constant stream of hummingbirds throughout the day who feast on the nectar of the purple flowers. Day-beds and chairs are provided for lounging. You can also dine here under the stars. The terrace looks onto an expansive sloping lawn, an infinity pool, beach terrace and steps which take you down to a private cove.
The cost of your stay includes an internationally-trained housekeeper who will prepare delicious meals for you at your request. A sample menu of Jamaican and international dishes is provided for you to choose from but this is just illustrative. Please discuss with her what types of food you like – all preferences and allergies can be catered for. Meals are cooked using fresh local ingredients wherever possible. The housekeeper can shop for you in the local market, or you can go with her if you would like to see a slice of local life. The nearby town, Whitehouse, is the main fishing port for the island so fresh seafood is always available.
Blue Bottle Cottage
The cottage has a bohemian feel and is nestled in the tropical front garden, surrounded by palms and fruit trees. It is named after the blue bottles embedded in the walls that act as stained glass windows. All of the furniture is locally-made by craftsmen in the village and the cottage is decorated with old Jamaican photos and reggae album cover art.
The raised beach terrace is at the foot of the garden, overlooking the beach and the sea. It is a beautiful spot for breakfast, sundowners and romantic dinners. Tables and chairs are provided for dining and a large sofa is available for lounging after meals or daytime snoozing.
NEW! Two sea kayaks, Snorkel equipment, a 40″ SMART tv with internet access in the lounge, Flat screen TV and DVD player in the master bedroom.
• The private beach is yours to enjoy. Sun-loungers are provided for tanning and hammocks for cooling out in the shade. A reef half a mile offshore provides shelter from heavy waves and excellent snorkelling (a five minute ride in a local fishing boat if too far to swim!). You can also snorkel immediately offshore and always see some coral, fish and seagrass. The water is sufficiently shallow for you to walk to some of the other beautiful private beaches just minutes from our shore.
• The mature gardens (over 40 years old) are one of the property’s main assets. A wide range of tropical flowers can be found including many types of birds of paradise (helicona), bourganvilia and hibiscus. Wild orchids grow in many trees. Fresh cuttings adorn tables around the villa and cottage. There are also a large number of fruit trees and plants including: Avocado, Banana, Breadfruit, Coconut, Grapefruit, Guava, Jamaican apple, June plum, Lime, Lychee, and many more. Something is always in season and fresh fruits from the garden are served to guests. The gardens are also home to many types of birds including parrots and hummingbirds.
• A beautiful infinity pool was added to the property in December 2009. The pool, which is at the bottom of the garden, has an infinity edge which looks onto the beach and the Caribbean sea. It is surrounded by a large sundeck.
• The Master Bedroom has a large four poster bed with Egyptian cotton sheets and a canopy mosquito net. There is air conditioning and a ceiling fan. The bedroom has a large walk-in wardrobe and an en suite bathroom with rainforest shower. It has two large windows – one facing onto the sea and one onto the garden.
• The Second Bedroom has a sofa, large four poster bed with Egyptian cotton sheets and a canopy mosquito net. There is air conditioning, a ceiling fan and a wardrobe. Two large windows and a balcony provide beautiful views of the front garden and double doors open to an ocean-facing balcony. An en suite bathroom with bath and shower is shared with bedroom three. A third bathroom with a rainforest shower is also available downstairs.
• The Third Bedroom has two twin beds with Egyptian cotton sheets and mosquito nets. There is air conditioning, a ceiling fan and a large wardrobe. An en suite bathroom with bath and shower is shared with bedroom two. A third bathroom with a rainforest shower is available downstairs. It has two large windows – one facing onto the sea and one onto the garden.